Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Prior to importing, we suggest marking Validate Now on the General tab.: Validating the data will not import the information in the system. This is a test run of the import.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (SBrecord.csv), which adds new individual/organization/student records and updates existing records in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.70.638. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
- You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- *Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Verify the file has following required fields (any additional fields can be included in the import as well):
- Record ID [can be blank OR the preferred record ID can be entered into the spreadsheet]
- Record Type
- Last name/Organization Name
- Address Import ID [will be blank but required; each address should have an Address Import ID column placed before the the Address Column]
- Billing Status
- In Administration > click Import.
- Click Record (below bolded Record)
- Mark Import new records on the General tab.
- Browse to the CSV file in the Import file field
- Select the File Layout tab and and select the Import File does not contain field names option ONLY if your import file does not have header. If your Import File contains the field names, mark Fields names are on the first line of the import file.
- Select the Fields tab and map the fields
- Note: Extensions will be used in this import if the field can be imported multiple times.
- Save the import parameters.
- Click Validate now (if we marked Validate data only on the general tab) or Import Now
- The screenshot has multiple contact numbers and types. Two different address types are also include in the screenshot. For each address type, there is a unique Address Import ID that was exported .
- When mapping the address/contact info, the extensions would be similar to the screenshot below but the numbers may be different.
- Any additional/preferred field can be added to the import as needed.