Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
- Open Excel
- Click the Open icon (or go to File, Open) at the top of the screen and browse to the AgeFinder.txt file
NOTE: You may need to change the files of type at the bottom of the window to 'All Files'
- Click Open
- In the Text Import Wizard, in Step 1 of 3, select the File Type 'Delimited' and click Next
- In Step 2 of 3 of the wizard, mark the 'Comma' checkbox and click Next
- In Step 3 of 3 of the wizard, highlight the import ID column and select 'Text' for Column Data Format.
- Repeat this for the birth date/description column
- Click Finish
- Change the column header 'CattrDesc' to 'Bday'
- Delete the columns with the following headers entirely: 'CattrCat,' 'CattrDate,'and 'CattrCom'
- Save the file in CSV format
- In The Raiser's Edge, go to Administration, and select Import
- Create a new Constituent import
- On the General tab, select the following:
What do you want to do? Update Existing Records
Options: Select 'Validate data only'
What file do you wish to import? Browse out to the location of the CSV file you saved in step 11
How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Import ID
What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- On the the File Layout tab, leave everything set to the defaults and make sure the preview at the bottom looks like your CSV file
- On the Fields tab, make sure all fields are mapped correctly
- On the Summary tab, select to create an exception file, query of changes records, and a control report
- Click Validate Now to validate the import file and correct any exceptions found
- Once no exceptions are found during the validation, go back to the General tab and unmark the 'Validate data only' checkbox
- Click Update Now to import the age information and save any output queries