- Verify the file is formatted correctly [version 7 ]
- If the import file is large (i.e. >300 rows), split it into two or more smaller CSV files and import each file separately
- Verify the Source field contains valid entries and that they are available for use in journal entry [ version 7 ] The Journal Reference field is limited to 50 characters.
- If the post file is generated from The Raiser's Edge, verify the Journal Reference fields in The Raiser's Edge are 50 characters or less, including spaces [ version 7 ].
- If the post file is created from another source check the field length to ensure it does not the maximum.
- If the post file was opened Excel, verify the field formatting is correct:
- Open the file in Excel if needed
- Highlight the column with the data that is listed as invalid or as an exception
- Select Format, Cells from the menu bar
- Format Dates as a data type of Date
- Numbers as Numbers
- Currency as Numbers with 2 decimal places
- Tables of numbers beginning with zero must be formatted as Text. Excel drops the leading zero in a number field
- Select File, Save As from the menu bar and save the file as .CSV
Note: Open the file in a plain text editor, such as Notepad to verify the field formatting is not lost and check for issues.
- Remove any spaces other characters in the fields that are not on the record they are referencing in the program.
For example, if a project name is "Project 1" but is listed in the import file as "Project 1 " with a space after the 1, the file will not import. Since this project ID is exactly 9 characters including the space between Project and 1, adding the space at the end makes it 10 and the file is no longer valid. You can use a formula to check the field length to determine if extra spaces exist.
- Remove any commas from fields such as the Journal Reference. A comma in a CSV file denotes the end of a field and therefore divides your field into two field
For more information, refer to:
- How to import journal entry transactions [ version 7 ]
- for Nonprofits only - The Raiser's Edge 7 posts directly to The Financial Edge)