Note: Support for Accounting for Nonprofits 6 ended December 31, 2007. Support for Student Billing 6 and Payroll 6 with The Financial Edge ended September 30, 2008. The Financial Edge, version 7 of our accounting software, is a benefit of your Blackbaud maintenance plan. We offer several customizable options to help you convert to The Financial Edge. Please contact your account manager.
This document guides you through the steps required to use Student Billing's Mail module and Microsoft Word to easily create dunning letters.
The example follows the process of creating a dunning letter in Mail and
using Microsoft Word to generate the corresponding merged dunning letters.
- In Mail, open the Student Billing, Letters and then select Dunning letters. Click the new icon to create a new letter. This allows
you to create the data file you will use to generate your merged dunning
letters in Microsoft Word.
- On the General tab, select the dunning letters you want to generate,
Transaction cutoff date, Aging comparisons, and any reductions in Payer
Balances. Also choose which records you want to include. Click Back
or Next in he bottom left corner of each tab to easily move
backward or forward through each step. Do not click Export until you
have finished the setup process.
- On the Aging tab, specifically define aging period definitions, and
choose the date you wish to age receivables. You can group records more easily by age by adding a code for each aging bucket.
- On the left side of the Fields tab are folders containing fields that
you can insert into your merge letter. To move a field from the left side
to the right side, simply highlight the field and double-click. You can
also highlight the field and click the right arrow button.
- On the Address tab, validate addresses either by today's date or a
specific date. The system can consider any seasonal addresses you have
entered into the database.
- On the Attributes tab, include or exclude records with certain attributes
in your mailing.
- On the Format tab, select to sort the mailing by either payer name or a
query. You may also select how you want dollar amounts to appear.
- Select File, Save from the menu bar to save the Dunning letter mailing.
- Click the Export toolbar button to select the format in which you want
to export the mailing.
- Select Microsoft Word Merge File, and name and establish a location
for the file. Be sure to mark the Include header record checkbox.
- You can now create a simple mail merge or conditional mail merge letter in Microsoft Word.
- Select Tools, Mail Merge from the menu bar.
- On the Mail Merge Helper screen, click Create and select Form Letters.
Then click Active Window.
- On the Mail Merge Helper screen, click Get Data. Select Open Data
- Browse for the export file you created in Mail and double-click on it.
- Click Edit Main Document.
- Type your letter, and, where appropriate, click Insert Merge Field on
the Merge toolbar to insert the fields you selected when creating your
data file in Mail.
- Select File, Save As from the menu bar.
- Select Tools, Mail Merge from the menu bar. Select Merge to create the dunning letters.