When a constituent donates a gift, use the Acknowledge field on the gift record to track whether you sent a letter thanking the constituent for his gift. In this field, you can select Acknowledged, Not Acknowledged, or Do Not Acknowledge. Donor Acknowledgement Letters will only include gifts that have the Acknowledge field set to "Not Acknowledged." After you create an acknowledgement letter for this gift in Mail, Raiser's Edge automatically updates the Acknowledge field to Acknowledged and enters the date you printed the letters. If you select Acknowledged or Do Not Acknowledge, Mail does not create an acknowledgement letter for this gift.
Follow these steps to run Donor Acknowledgement Letters:
- In Mail, Donor Acknowledgement Letters, click New in the action bar. The New Donor Acknowledgement Letters screen appears.
- Complete each tab to select the appropriate parameters:
- General tab:
- Include all records, a selected query (constituent, individual, organization, and gift queries), or one record
- In the Include Gifts with These Dates frame, include gifts based on the gift date or the GL post date. Include all dates or define a specific range
- Soft credit gifts to donor, soft credit recipient, or both, and credit matching gifts to the donor, the MG company, or both
- Mark the checkboxes to include inactive, deceased, and constituents with no valid addresses
- Mark the checkbox to create either a constituent or gift output query
- Fields to Include tab: Select to send one letter per gift or per donor. The selection affects the fields available for export. If you select per gift, fields specific to individual gifts, such as gift amount, gift date, and fund, are available for export. If you select per donor, summary information is available for export. For more information, refer to How to select addressee or salutations in Mail.
Highlight fields in the Available Fields frame and use the arrows to move them into the Fields to Export frame.
Note: To perform a conditional merge, make sure to include the selected conditional field, such as Letter, Fund, or Gift Type. For the merge to complete successfully, each gift must have a value in the conditional field. If using Letter as the conditional field, refer to Steps 1-4 in How to create or set up letters in Configuration.
- Filters tab: Filter the export file by constituent codes*, funds, appeals, campaigns, packages, or letters.
* To filter by gift constituent code, select Include Selected in the Filter Options column and click the binocular icon in the Selected Filters column. The Selected Constituent Codes screen appears. In the Use constituent code from field, select Gift, move the codes to include into the Include these Constituent Codes frame, and click OK.
- Gift Types tab: Use the arrows to move gift types into the Include these Gift Types frame
- Attributes tab: Include or exclude gift records from the mail function on the basis of constituent or gift attributes. Add, update, or delete attributes for each record using the grid at the bottom.
- Ind. Address and Org. Address tabs: Select the address to include for each constituent. For more information, refer to How does address processing work.
- Postal tab: For those with PostalSaver, mark the Run Postal Discounts checkbox, click Options, Set Options, and complete the Presort Wizard
- Format tab: Select formatting for numbers and select whether to omit punctuation and/or format in all caps. You can also select sort options to determine in what order the letters print.
- General tab:
- Click Merge to use the Mail Merge Wizard or click Export... to create an export file to merge in a separate application.
- Use a simple mail merge to send the same letter to all donors in your mailing.
- Use a conditional mail merge to send different letters for donors based on a conditional field. There are several different fields you can use as the conditional field for your mail merge, such as gift amount, fund, campaign, and letter. Note: In order to use letter as the conditional field, the Letter code must first be created within Configuration, Letters.
- How to use Word integration with Mail to perform a simple mail merge
- How to use Word integration with Mail to create a conditional mail merge
- How to create a simple mail merge in Word
- How to create a conditional mail merge in Word
Note: If you need fields that are not available in Donor Acknowledgement Letters, you can create a gift export instead.
You may find that a particular gift you expect to be included is missing or you may receive a message that no records meet specified criteria. Refer to these articles for steps to resolve them:
- Gifts or constituents are missing from Donor Acknowledgement Letters
- Error: No records meet specified criteria when running Donor Acknowledgement Letters