Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
If you are new to importing, please review How to import (BB58904) before proceeding.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7ImportSoftCredit.CSV) which imports a new soft credit of $300 on Phillip Keller's constituent record. The hard credit belongs to Jason Campbell. The date is 06/06/2002 and is for $500. (The soft credit amount can differ from the hard credit amount.)
Note: The sample file contains all of the required fields. Your actual import file should contain, at a minimum, all of the fields from the sample file.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge 7, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in the data file (for a sample file, refer to step 1 above):
SoftCredAmt, GFTLink, SoftCredRecip
Soft Credit Amount, Hard Credit Import ID, Soft Credit Recipient Import ID
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Soft Credit Fields section of the Import Guide [version 7.7] for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In version 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Soft Credit from the Gift node. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Import new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
*Constituent ID cannot be used to identify existing constituents.