Susan, a member of your data entry staff, leaves your organization. Because her login is tied to multiple security features, you need to consider several things before simply deleting her user name.
- Log in as Susan to find special letters, mailings, user options, etc., that Susan created. If Susan's password is unknown, refer to How to find a user's user name and password.
- Find any action reminders Susan set up before she left by running an Action Detail Report in Reports. If Susan had action reminders scheduled and you delete her user name, the reminders remain active. However, because Susan is no longer logging in, the reminders never occur. Also, if Susan's username was added as a user to notify, it will be removed from the list.
- If Susan added any favorites to her home page that you need to recreate, click Home. Note the favorites to keep and recreate them on your home page.
- Check for any specialized letters Susan created using the Letters menu in Records. Open any constituent record and select Letter, Modify Letter Menu from the menu bar. You will need to recreate Susan's letters under another user name.
- Other settings that can only be accessed by Susan's login are her user options. If another staff member will need similar settings, check them by logging in as Susan and selecting Tools, User Options from the menu bar.
- When Susan created a query, export, profile, batch, etc., she could limit other users' rights to execute or modify her work. If you need this work, log in as Supervisor and remove these restrictions so other users can access what she created.
- In Query, open Susan's queries, and select Tools, Query Options from the menu bar. Mark the Other users may run this query checkbox to allow other users to run the query. Mark the Other users may modify this query checkbox to allow others users to change the query. (*See Below)
- In Export, open Susan's exports, and select Tools, Export Options from the menu bar. Mark the Other users may run this export and Other users may Modify this export checkboxes. (*See Below)
- In Reports, open Susan's reports, and select File, Save As from the menu bar. Mark the Other users may run this Report and Other users may modify this Report checkboxes. (*See Below)
- In Mail, open Susan's mailings, and select File, Save As from the menu bar. Mark the Other users may run this Mailing and Other users may modify this Mailing checkboxes.
- In Batch (in The Raiser's Edge only), open Susan's batches, and select Tools, Edit Batch Setup from the menu bar. Mark the Other users may access this batch checkbox. Repeat this step for gift and constituent batches.
- In Dashboard, unshare any shared Dashboards that the user has created. If this step is not taken, none of the shared dashboards created by the deleted user can be removed from the 'Select Shared Dashboards' window.
- After you have changed and retrieved any information connected with Susan's login, you can delete her user name. Log in as Supervisor. In Administration, Security, highlight Susan's user name and click Delete. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
- Note: Deleting a user name does not affect the properties of a record. For example, after deleting Susan's user name, her name still appears in the Last changed by Properties field of any records she last changed.
* For Financial Edge and Education Edge, run a utility to change the username associated with queries, reports and exports.