- Add a gift.
- In the Gift type drop-down, select Stock/Property.
- In the Value field, enter the average price of the stock on the day it was transferred to your organization. For example, the average price is $10 and the donor has given 20 shares. The value will be $200.
According to the Internal Revenue Service's Publication 561, 'the value of stocks and bonds is the fair market value (FMV) of a share or bond on the valuation date. The FMV of each share or bond is the average price between the highest and lowest quoted selling prices on the valuation date. For example, if the highest selling price for a share was $11, and the lowest $9, the average price is $10. You get the average price by adding $11 and $9 and dividing the sum by 2.'
- In the Gift date field, enter the date the constituent's stock was transferred to your organization.
- In the Issuer field, enter the name of the stock.
- Click Details to enter the symbol, number of units, and the median price per unit.
- Enter all other appropriate information.
- Select File, Save to save the gift.
- Once the gift is saved, you can enter information about the sale of the stock gift, if appropriate.
Connect and collaborate with fellow Blackbaud users.