The Comparative Report, one of the Analytical Reports in Reports, determines your constituents' giving patterns by showing who gave more, less, or the same amount between two date ranges. This information is useful when creating solicitation methods for constituents and prospects. The variance can be shown by percentage or dollar amounts. The report includes the constituent name, address, totals for the first and second periods, variance between the periods, and a grand total.
You can base the report on a query and customize it to include selected constituencies, campaigns, funds, appeals, and gift types.
- On the General tab, include all records or a select query of constituents.
Note: To query on the constituents whose giving has increased or decreased, mark the Create output query option on the General tab. On the Format tab, select the appropriate option: Increase or Decrease (refer to step 7).
- Enter the start and end dates for up to two report periods. These are the date ranges the report compares. The first date range (the top one) is the oldest date range. The second date range (the bottom one) is the most recent. (Note: If you only see one period displayed, use the arrows or scroll bar to the right to scroll up and down in the date range window.)**
- On the Filters tab, you can include all or selected Constituent Codes, Constituent Solicitors, Appeals, Campaigns, Funds, and Gift Solicitors. For example, you may wish to report only on your Board Members.
- On the Gift Types tab, select which gift types to include in the report.
- On the Attributes tab, include or exclude records on the basis of constituent or gift attributes.
- On the Ind. Address and Org. Address tabs, select how to format constituent addresses in the report.
- On the Format tab, highlight Detail on the left to select what variance to include:
- Increase: Select this option to show all the constituents whose giving has increased from the first date range to the next.
- Decrease: Select this option to show all the constituents whose giving has decreased from the first date range to the next.
- Both: Select this option to show all the constituents whose giving has increased, decreased, or stayed the same.
- Also on the Format tab, Detail option, select how to display the variance (e.g. the difference in the two time periods):
- Percentage: Select this option to show the variance as a percentage. For example, if a donor gave $100 in the first date range and $200 in the second date range, the percentage variance is 100%.
- Currency: Select this option to show the variance as a dollar amount. For example, if a donor gave $100 in the first date range and $200 in the second date range, the currency variance is $100.
- Both: Select this option to display the variance as both a percentage and currency amount.
Note: For those constituents that gave the same from the first date range to the next, the variance is 0.
- Click Print or Preview to process the report.
For example, to find constituents who gave more to the 2018 Summer Appeal than they gave to the 2017 Summer Appeal:
- In Query, create a Constituent query of everyone who gave to the 2017 Summer Appeal.
- In Reports, open a new Comparative Report.
- On the General tab, include the query from step 1.
- Also on the General tab, enter the two report periods to compare: 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2017 and 1/1/2018 - 12/31/2018 (or the dates of the appeals).
- Include only Annual Appeal 2017 and Annual Appeal 2018 on the Filters tab.
- On the Format tab, highlight Detail and mark the Increase option in the Variance to Include frame.
Note: On the Format tab, you can also limit the report to include only constituents whose totals change more than a certain dollar amount or percentage. Highlight Detail and complete the Report percentage change of at least and Report currency change of at least fields.
**If there is only one row visible, use the scroll bar on the far right to move up and down to select Period 1 and Period 2: