The difference in the file sizes is determined by the program itself. Adobe Acrobat and Microsoft Word both handle graphics differently, and this will result in different file sizes. However, the same amount of data is being exported from The Raiser's Edge. It is the program that the information is being imported or inserted into that will determine the ultimate file sizes.
You can change the print quality settings for the PDF printer driver to decrease the size of PDF files generated on your workstation:
- On the taskbar, select Start, Printers and Faxes.
- Right click the PDF Printer and select Properties.
- Select Printing Preferences from the General tab.
- Click the Advanced button.
- Click on the Print Quality field and choose a lower dpi.
- Create the receipts for one gift at a time.
- Run the mail merge to produce the receipt for the single gift.
- Convert the Word document (now outside of The Raiser's Edge) into a PDF document. Sample instructions for running this procedure: http://www.tech-faq.com/convert-word-to-pdf.shtml
- Attach the PDF document to an email that is sent to the constituent/donor.