Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup solution.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Faculty/Staff Import ID, Biographical Information Last name, Biographical Information First name, Address Import ID, Address General Address Line 1, Address General City, Address General State/Province, Address General ZIP/Postcode, Phone Contact type, Phone Contact number
- Corresponding Field Names
Faculty/Staff Import ID, Faculty/Staff Last Name, Faculty/Staff First Name, Import ID, Faculty/Staff Address Line 1, Faculty/Staff Address City, Faculty/Staff Address State, Faculty/Staff Address Zip, Phone type, Phone number
Note: If including a phone number, a phone type is required.
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
- Import Type: Faculty/Staff
- What do you want to do?: Update existing records
- Options: Import records not found as new records
- What file do you want to import?: Browse to the import file and use Faculty/Staff Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records.
- What is the format of this import file?: Delimited Characters separate the fields
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file.
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file.
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Education Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
Note: In Excell, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.