If you are new to importing, please review How to import (BB58904) before proceeding.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge 7, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in the data file:
ImportID*, GFImpID, GFRef
Import ID, GFImpID, Reference
Note: Each gift must be on a separate row in the import data file.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type fields with a leading zero. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Gift Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. You can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Gift from the Gift category. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column. Also, pay attention to the Extensions column. Groupings of phone number fields in the import file must share the same extension.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
* When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.