Financial Edge Version 7.77 introduced several business rules to control how transactions flow through the sub-ledgers into the General Ledger. This functionality allows for stricter enforcement of posting information and controls account usage. In addition, a few report forms have been streamlined for use with reconciliation.
New Transaction control features:
GL Transaction Business Rules
- Do not allow post dates to be different than transaction dates in other Blackbaud Systems
This option Disables the Post Date field, Forces the Post Date to equal the Transaction Date, and Prevents date inconsistencies and confusion when running reports
- Do not allow journal codes to be edited when posting from other Blackbaud Systems
This option ensures the same journal code is always used in posting from sub-ledgers
- Do not allow a default account to be edited or used as the primary account in other Blackbaud System transactions.
Prevents users from using default summary accounts (i.e., Accounts Payable liability account) incorrectly.
Ex: Accounts Payable: The AP Summary account can only be used on invoices as the credit account number. You can’t select default accounts as the debit on an invoice. You can never use it as the debit account number.
GL Journal Entry Business Rules
- Allow adjusting journal entries to Blackbaud System default Summary Accounts
Allow adjusting journal entries to Blackbaud System default Summary Accounts
Prevents users from using default summary accounts in Journal Entry and on miscellaneous entries in sub-ledgers.
Sub-ledger Business Rules
- Do not allow a General Ledger account number to be used for more than one Configuration Default Account
Prevents the same default summary account from being used within a product.
Ex: The Accounts Payable liability account can’t be the same account number as the Accounts Payable encumbrance account.
Typical reports used for reconciliation with some of the options and date filters removed are now available. These reports are helpful when the sub-ledgers is already in balance the General Ledger. Please note the original versions of these reports are still available in their complete format.
- Accounts Payable: Account Distribution Report, Open Invoice Report
- Accounts Receivable: Account Distribution Report, Aged AR Report, Open Item Report
- Student Billing: Account Distribution Report, Aged AR Report, Open Item Report
Other enhancements include:
- an updated href="http://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/guides/fe/subsidiary_recon.pdf" _fcksavedurl="http://www.blackbaud.com/files/support/guides/fe/subsidiary_recon.pdf">Subsidiary ledger Reconciliation Guide which contains some more specific steps for reconciling and more troubleshooting steps.
- a filter called “Posted Transactions” which has been added the the General Ledger report to filter by posted transactions from a particular sub-ledger.
- If you have either of the above business rules enabled in General Ledger, The Raiser’s Edge will ignore these rules as the Raiser's Edge batch will import directly into the GL Journal Entry.
- Previously saved Transactions and General Ledger batches will post to the Financial Edge and not use the Business rules as the information is all ready saved.
- The business rules will ONLY impact Blackbaud Modules that exist within the Financial Edge system.