How to remove /NetCommunity/ from your URL when Blackbaud NetCommunity is hosted by Blackbaud Hosting Services:
The option to remove /NetCommunity/ from the website URL was implemented in Blackbaud NetCommunity version 5.5. Blackbaud NetCommunity version 5.5 or later must be installed with your site in order to take advantage of this functionality. To complete the change please follow the steps below:
- Login to your Blackbaud NetCommunity website. (You must have Supervisor rights)
- Click on Administration -> System Options
- Remove /NetCommunity from the Site URL text box. Ensure that the Site URL is in the following format: http://[domain].org/ where [domain] is the domain of your Blackbaud NetCommunity site.
- Click Save
Note: Any URL that previously included /NetCommunity/ will automatically forward to the correct page.
How to remove /NetCommunity/ from your URL when Blackbaud NetCommunity is not hosted by Blackbaud:
There are a number of factors to consider when changing your website URL.
- The process will require an uninstall/reinstall of NetCommunity and the backup of any custom parts. Failure to update all references to your URL within your customizations may result in loss of functionality or complete unavailability of your customization. Customizations that may be affected by this change include, but are not limited to: Online Application, E-Store, Form Builder, and Community Foundations. Walking through this process is outside of the scope of support. Uninstalling and reinstalling can be difficult and is not the same for all server configurations. If you are interested in having Blackbaud perform the process for you please contact your account manager.
- You will need to ensure that users with bookmarks are still able to access your website. This includes setting up redirects in IIS from the old www.domain.org/NetCommunity/ site.
Note: configuration of IIS is outside of the scope of support.
- NetCommunity will need to be installed to the root of a website. This means you may have to make configuration changes to any other ASP.NET services or websites installed to this site or to Virtual Directories below this site. These configuration changes are outside the scope of support however if the RE7Service and PluginService are installed under this website you will need to refer to the section labelled "Additional Information for Single Web Site Install".
How to remove /NetCommunity/ from your URL:
Additional Information for Single Web Site Install:
Note: If you have the Raiser's Edge Web Service and PluginService installed in the same server as Blackbaud NetCommunity you will need to make the following changes to the Blackbaud NetCommunity web.config file:
- Login to the NetCommunity web server as an administrator
- Make a backup of your web.config files. (BB262940)
- Open the web.config file that was found in the NetCommunity folder in notepad.
- Look for the following line in the file:
<add key="ConnectionString" value="server=<NameOfServer>;database=<NameOfDatabase>;user id=BBPortalWebUser;pwd=<Password>"/>
- Take note of the server name, database name, and password in that line as we will need it later.
- Go to http://downloads.blackbaud.com and download the latest patch of Blackbaud NetCommunity and the plug-in.
Warning: The steps after this point will bring your Blackbaud NetCommunity website down. Do not proceed unless you are sure that you are ready. The process of uninstalling and reinstalling can be difficult and is not the same for all server configurations. If you are interested in having Blackbaud perform the process for you please contact your account manager. Proceed with caution.
- Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Blackbaud NetCommunity and click Change/Remove.
Warning: You may be required to restart the web server to complete the uninstall. Only proceed if you are ready.
- Select the Remove option and click Next.
- Click Yes when prompted.
- Wait for the uninstall to finish.
- If prompted to restart click Finish. If you are not prompted to restart click finish and proceed to the next step.
- Double click the install file we downloaded in step 6.
- Click Next.
- Read the license agreement and click Yes.
- Click Next to install Blackbaud NetCommunity to the default folder.
- Select the Custom option and click Next.
- Select the features you had installed on this server and click Next. (Do not select to install the Blackbaud NetCommunity Database.)
- Select the option to connect using SQL Server authentication.
- Enter the server name, database name, and password that we collected in step 4 and click Next.
- Select the website you wish to install Blackbaud NetCommunity to.
- Check the option to Create web application at the web site's root and click Next.
- If applicable, select the website to install RE7Service and PluginService to and click Next.
Note: If you would like to install all of the product pieces under one website you will have to manually move the virtual directories from the secondary website to the main one. IIS configuration is outside the scope of our support. If you do move the virtual directories you will need to refer to the section labelled "Additional Information for Single Web Site Install" below.
- Type the IP or host name of the Raiser's Edge Web Service server. If it is the same server as Blackbaud NetCommunity type 127.0.0.1 and click Next.
- Type the password collected in step 4 and click Next.
- Select the Raiser's Edge database that NetCommunity was attached to and click Next. Do not connect to a different Raiser's Edge database.
- If the name for your organization is incorrect retype it and click Next. If the text is correct click Next.
- The information in the next step should be correct. Simply click Next.
- Click Install.
- When the install is complete click Finish.
- Open the web.config file in notepad.
- Locate the section that starts with "<system.web>".
- Create a blank line above that section and enter the following "<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">"
- Locate the the end of the section "</system.web>".
- Create a blank line below that section and enter the following "</location>"
- The end result should look something like this:
<location path="." inheritInChildApplications="false">
- Save and close the file.
- Restart IIS.
- Open the web.config file in notepad.