Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB58904).
- Create a "Contact Business" phone type that is not shared.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file appropriate for your version, which imports the organization, Blackbaud, with an address and phone number, and two contacts with their different phone numbers in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
Sample data file for version 7.94 and higher. The sample file was tested in version 7.94.6116. Other versions vary slightly in the available fields.
Sample data file for version 7.93 and earlier versions. The sample file was tested in version 7.85.5026. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Create an Organization import with contacts
- Add the following fields to the import file in Excel:
IRPhoneType (Must be the same value as created in Step 1)
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Refer to the Constituent Fields, Individual Relationship Fields, and Individual Relationship Phone Fields sections of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In versions 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Constituent from the Constituent category. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do?: Import new records
- Options: Use duplicate criteria for new records; Create table entries
- What file do you wish to import?: Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents?: Use the Import ID**
- What is the format of this import file?: Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
** When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.