It is suggested for this to be tried in a test division before deciding where you want the data item to appear and what wording you want to use for the data item.
- From General Ledger, Maintenance, select Data Items.
- Click New to add the Data Item that you need in Accounts Payable. For data type, use “Text Alphanumeric”. This allows 15 characters or numbers to be input in the obligation entry screen. It is only in General Ledger journal entries where a full 35 character entry can be made. The "Description" field is only for internal explanation of the data item. The entry made in the "Prompt" field is what appears on the General Ledger Reports or in a manual journal entry.
- Set up the AP journals to be used in General Ledger, Maintenance, Journals. Add the data items to the Additional Data Items fields on the General Tab for each AP journal. The data item needs to be added in the same field to all of the journals that are set up for AP such as encum, commt, purch, and cdis. You may only have a purchase and cash disbursements journal.
- Set up the same data item in Accounts Payable as an Obligation Reference. From Accounts Payable, Maintenance, click Obligation References. A screen with all the current references displays. Click New to add another reference. The Description should be similar to what was entered in GL (Step 2) for clarity. The text entered in the description field is what appears on the obligation entry Data Item tab. You may also make the Entry “required”.
- Update the Accounts Payable Extended Parameter. From Accounts Payable, Setup, click Extended Setup. Press C) to change and choose field 4. Add the obligation reference letter you set up in the previous step to the same Data item # field that you used in Step 2.
- Enter a new invoice, filling out the “Data Items” tab and see how the data item appears on the journal print. It looks the same way in your General Ledger transaction reports. You can print a Standard ACDTL or LEDGR report to look at the final results. These reports are under Report Manager, General Ledger, Transaction Reports.
For information on adding Obligation References only, refer to "How to add or change Accounts Payable References that post to The General Ledger".