Crystal Reports for Blackbaud. It may be easier to use Microsoft Word or
Corel's WordPerfect if you have more experience with them. If you do not
have a word processor, if you need to manipulate data fields, or if you
just prefer to use Crystal Reports for Blackbaud to create a mail merge,
follow the steps below.
To create a simple letter in Crystal Reports for Blackbaud based on a data
file, first create the data file. Then use Crystal Reports to write a single
letter to each constituent in the data file. Follow the steps below.
- In RE:Query, create a constituent query of the records you want to include
in the mailing.
- In RE:Export, create a new constituent export based on Selected Records.
Select the query you created in Step 1. Click OK.
- Place the fields you want to include in your mail merge letter in the
Fields to Extract box. If you want to sort your letters by last name,
select Sort Key, which is in the Biographical category. You may want to
include an addressee and salutation in the data file as well as the full
address (click single set of parameters after selecting the address fields).
For the gift amount, select Summary Information Total Amount for any date
range you prefer, or Last Gift Amount for the last gift added to the
constituent record. If you want to include the gift date, select it from
the Last Gift category.
- After you select all of the fields you need, select File, Export from
the menu bar. To use this data file in Crystal Reports for Blackbaud, you
must export it in MS Access Report Writer Database format. Mark the Print
Control Report checkbox and click OK.
The Control Report includes the exact data file name and path, the fields
you included in your data file, and the number of records included.
- In Crystal Reports, select File, New in the menu bar. Click Custom,
and then click Data File. Browse to the data file you created in RE:Export.
- On the Design tab, select Insert, Group from the menu bar.
- On the Insert Group screen, select Sort Key in the first field, and in
ascending order in the second field. Mark the Keep group together checkbox.
- Delete the Group #1 Name field and replace it with Addr/Sal Primary
Addressee from the Insert Fields list.
- In the gray area on the left, right-click over Group Header #1 and
select Insert Section Below and place Address Line 1 in the new section.
Continue this step until all address lines are on the report in their
- Using a text box, you can easily format the City, State and ZIP fields
appropriately. Select Insert, Text Field from the menu bar to insert a
text field in the final section. With the cursor in the new field, select
City from the Insert Fields screen and place it directly into the text field.
If you click outside the text box and need to continue placing fields into
it, simply right-click the field and select Edit Text Object.
- Type comma, space, and insert State from the Insert Fields list.
Type 1-2 spaces, then insert ZIP into the text box.
- In the gray area on the left, right-click Group Header #1a, and select
- Mark the Suppress Blank Section checkbox for each of the Group Header
#1 sections. Click OK.
- Preview the report. You should see a list of names and addresses formatted
correctly with no blank lines between the address lines and the city, state,
ZIP text field.
- You may place another text field in the page header for your organization
name and address if you are not printing on letterhead. Remember to stretch
the field's height and width to accommodate the text.
- You may also place today's date in the Page Header. Select Insert,
Special Field, Print Date Field from the menu bar and place the field in
the appropriate location.
- Insert a text field in the Details section for the letter's greeting.
Type the word Dear and a space and then place the Addr/Sal Primary Salutation
directly in the text box.
- Place another text field in the Details section for the body of the letter.
This is where you can insert the Gift Summary Information Total Amount field
or the Last Gift Amount Field within the letter text. Remember to stretch
the field's height and width to accommodate all the text.
- If you need to round the gift up or down so you only see whole dollars,
right-click the text field and select Edit Text Object. Use your mouse to
highlight only the amount field, then right-click the highlighted area,
select Format (the data field you highlighted).
- Select 1 in Decimals: then verify Rounding is also set to 1. Next Click OK.
- Place a text field in the Group #1 Footer for the letter's closing.
- In the gray area on the left, right-click over Group Footer #1 and select
- Mark the New Page After checkbox, click OK, and then preview the report.
You may need to toggle between the Preview and Design tabs to adjust the
field positions, but the basic design is complete.