Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup solution.
- In Administration, click Global Change Facility
- Highlight Constituent and click New Change
- Expand Biographical and select SSN
- Select Delete as the Operator
- Enter ***-**-**** in the delete field
- Click Use pattern matching and click OK
- Click Change Now
- In Query, create a static, constituent query and filter on Constituent Information, SSN not blank
- In Export, create a constituent export and export the following fields:
- Biographical, Import ID
- Biographical, Last Name
- Save the file in Excel format
- In Excel, open the file
- Delete all of the headers from row 1
- In column A, type the header, ImportID
- In column B, type the header, LastName
- In column C, type the header, KeyInd
- In column D, type the header, SSNum
- In column C under the KeyInd header, copy I (for Individual) all the way down
- In column D under the SSNum header, copy ^ all the way down to import blank fields
- Save the file in CSV(Comma delimited)(*.csv) format
View a sample data file (DeleteSSN.CSV). You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
- In Import, select Constituent from the Constituent node. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Update existing records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the CSV file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
Fields Tab:In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column. Also, pay attention to the Extensions column. For example, groupings of phone number fields in the import file must share the same extension.
Summary Tab:We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
- Once the import runs, all of the Social Security Numbers are blanked out.