Follow these steps:
- In any subledger, click Configuration>Posting Information.
- Select the appropriate posting item from the left frame (e.g., invoice, charge, credit, payment, interfund entry).
- To add custom journal references, click Fields and enter a new field in the Field Name column. Click OK to close the Define Journal Fields screen. Note: The maximum number of characters for the journal reference field is 100 characters. Anything more than 100 characters will truncate and will not show on the post reports, journal entries, or General Ledger Reports.
For example, you might want to emphasize certain entry types by starting their reference with an identifier. You could create fields such as
- INT- for Interfund entries
- APPL- for Application entries
- Mark the Debit option to create journal references for line items posting to debit accounts, and mark the credit option to create journal references for line items posting to credit accounts.
- To enter fields into the reference either:
- Select the empty row at the bottom of the grid or
- Select an existing row, right-click and select Insert Row to insert a new row before the existing row
- To change the existing field value, select a new value from the drop-down list in the Field Name column.
- Exit the posting information page to save the settings.
Note: Changes to the journal reference apply to transactions posted after the change was made and are not retroactive to posted transactions. However, reversal transactions will post with the same parameters as the original transaction.
For additional options on customizing journal references, refer to the Posting Information sections of the individual Configuration Guides (PDF).