Follow the steps below to create custom Microsoft Word labels using data from the Blackbaud program. These instructions assume you have already exported the data.
- In Microsoft Word, select File, New from the menu bar.
- Select Blank and click OK.
- Select Tools, Mail Merge from the menu bar. The Mail Merge Helper screen appears.
- Click Create and select Mailing Labels. Click Active Window.
- To attach your data file, click Get Data, and then select Open Data Source. Select the appropriate file. The data file usually has a .dat extension. A screen appears stating that Word found no merge fields in Main Document. Click Edit Main Document.
Note: If you are having difficulty locating the data file, refer to the export's Blackbaud Control Report for the name and location.
- Select a label type from the list of available labels in Microsoft Word. You can also create custom size labels in Microsoft Word. Click OK.
- Click Set Up Main Document. The Create Labels screen appears. Click Insert Merge Field to select the fields to appear on your labels. Click OK.
- Click Merge. The Merge screen appears.
- In the Merge To field, select the merged letters' destination: your printer, or a new document. If you send the merge to a new document, you can view the letters on the screen before printing. Select the appropriate option.
- In the When Merging Records frame, select Don't print blank lines when data fields are empty.
- Click Merge.