- Create a new web page.
- Remember that this message will replace the standard blue box error so you don't want the language to be too specific. I recommend using your default template and placing the page in your "Archive/Hidden" folder so that it doesn't show up in navigation. When you're ready, publish the page and copy the URL; we're going to need it to complete the process. The URL can be found on the "Advanced" tab of the web page in the "Link Options" section
- Go to the "Administer" tab in the CMS.
- Click on the "Site Settings" sub-tab and when the page loads, click the "Edit" button at the bottom. A popup window should open at this point.
- Click on the "Custom Settings" tab in the new window. At the bottom of this screen you should see a section called "Error Page Setting." You'll want to select the radio button labeled "Use custom page. Enter URL below."
- Enter the full URL of your custom error page in the text field and hit the "Update" button.
- Note: You may need to refresh the "Site Settings" screen to see your change reflected.
- To test, you can use the URL http://www.kintera.org/generror.aspx?c=XXXXXXX. Be sure to replace the value after "c=" with the "c=" value in your site's URL. You are now using a custom error message for your CMS site!
You will again start by creating your custom error page. If you are a CMS customer, you can use a CMS page. If you don't have CMS, you can use a stand-alone webpage or even a page hosted externally that is separate from your Blackbaud Sphere event.
- To find the URL for a CMS page, see above.
- To find the URL for a stand-alone web page:
- Go to "Content > Stand-alone Webpages" in Blackbaud Sphere.
- Mouse over the name of the page you want to use and click "Properties."
- The URL for the page will be at the top of the screen. If you are using an error page hosted externally, refer to your vendor to find the URL.
In order to retain your event template in your error page, you'll want to copy both the "cid" and the "ievent" values. Next, you will use them to format a new URL like this: http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/ccp.asp?ievent=XXXXXX&ccp=XXXXXX. The "cid" value becomes the "ccp" value in this case. Please remember that you should only do this if you have only one active event.
Now that we have the URL for our custom error page, it's time to set it as the default error message for your events. To do this we'll want to:
- Go to "Control > Administration > Organization Setup > View/Edit Org Info" in Blackbaud Sphere.
- Hit the "Edit" button at the bottom of the page.
- The second to last section on the page is called "Error Page." Select the radio button labeled "Use custom page. Enter URL below:"
- Enter the URL of your custom error page in the text field and click the "Save" button.
- To test you can use this URL: http://www.kintera.org/generror.aspx?ievent=XXXXXX. Be sure to replace the "ievent" value with one from your event.