Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (Spouse.csv) which will mark Mrs. Ellen Carter as the spouse for Mr. Carl Davis. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.82.104.0013.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Education Edge. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Individual Import ID, Relationship Record ID, Relation Is Spouse, Relationship Import ID.
*Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
File layout tab:
- Field Separator: Comma
- Text qualifier: Quotation
- Import field names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample import format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import these fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding fields in the Import Fields column.
We recommend marking all Import Options. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
Import type: Individual, Relationship
What do you want to do? Update Existing Records
- What file do you want to import? Browse to the import file and select
Use Relationship Import ID to match records in the import file with existing records. *Note the Relationship Import ID is different from the Individual Import ID. You can get the Relationship Import ID only when a relationship already exists between records.
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited - Characters separate the fields