Example: Starting bid for an auction item is $10.
- Donor A bids first and enters a maximum bid of $50.
- Since no other bids have been placed, the current bid remains at $10.
- Donor B, on a later date, enters the same maximum bid of $50.
- Donor B will receive an onscreen notice saying "You have been outbid by another bidder! Enter another bid below in order to win the item."
- A higher bid is automatically generated on Donor A's behalf and he remains the highest bidder, since this was the original bid and no higher bids have been placed.
- The bid price now jumps up to $50 since two donors are willing to pay the same amount.
- The timestamp in reports for Donor A's bid now changes since the system automatically generated this bid at a later date on his behalf.
- The auction is closed by a Sphere User.
- Donor A remains the highest bidder, so he wins the auction item and his credit card will automatically be charged $50.