Consult the Microsoft documentation for this installation package and information about the following instructions.
- Download and install Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.
- Download and install Windows Installer 4.5.
- Download and install Windows PowerShell 2.0
- Browse to the SQL Server Management Studio installation directory
Default location is ...\Install\SQL 2008 - Express\SQL Server 2008 Express Management Studio
- Double-click SQLManagementStudio_x86_ENU.exe to launch installation
- Select the tab labeled 'Installation'. Then Click 'New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation"
- The installation wizard will check to make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements; if any problems are found you will see a red cross next to the check that has failed.
Once you have corrected any problems that occur, you will be able to click OK and proceed to the next step.
- Click Next because the product key is not required for the express edition of Microsoft SQL 2008.
- Accept the Microsoft Software License Agreement by marking "I accept the license terms" and then click Next.
- The installation requires setup support files to be installed before you can continue. Click Install to proceed.
- Mark the box near the option for the Management Tools - Basic. Click Next.
- The setup wizard will check to make sure you have enough disk space free before continuing. If there are no issues, click Next.
- It is your choice if you want to send data back to Microsoft, there is no requirement to do so. Once you have made your choice, click Next.
- The setup wizard will now check to make sure the installation will not be blocked. If there are any failures you will need to correct them before continuing. If there are no issues, click Next.
- You have finally reached the stage where Management Studio Express will be installed, to proceed click Install.
- You will now be informed the components you selected have been installed successfully or unsuccessfully.
If the install was a success please click Next, if the install failed review any error details and follow any links provided.
- The installation has now been completed and you can click Close to exit the installation wizard.