When using EFT to charge automatic payments, you first generate payments. This creates a batch of all eligible payments in your database. You then run the batch through a credit card process to send the credit cards from the batch to BBPS to get either approved or rejected. You also send this batch through a Generate Direct Debit Files process to create a file to send to your bank. The bank will confirm which direct debit payments were approved and which were rejected and you will update the batch accordingly. You then attempt to commit the batch.
If a credit card was rejected by BBPS or a direct debit payment was rejected by your bank, you will have exceptions when committing this batch. In these cases in order to charge the card or complete the direct debit, you will have to complete the credit card process and generate direct debit file process again after correcting the credit card or account information in the exception batch.
*Note: It is very important that you commit the batch and have Altru create an Exception batch with any exceptions found. This way, you can separate out those payments that were approved and for which you have already charged the credit card or taken funds from the Constituent’s bank account. If you run the original batch through the credit card or generate direct debit file process again after some payments have been approved, the Constituents will be charged again.
Complete the following steps to correct this issue:
- Open the exception batch and correct all credit card or account information, clear the Rejection Message cells, unmark the Direct Debit is Rejected checkboxes
- Click Edit>Clear all row messages to get rid of the errors
- Save and close the batch
- Go to Revenue>EFT >Credit Card Processing
- Run the credit card process again, this time for the exception batch
- Go to Revenue>EFT>Generate Direct Debit File
- Run the process again, this time for the exception batch
- Go to the exception batch and open it, update the direct debit payments with the results from your bank as needed, make sure there are now authorization codes instead of a rejection messages for the credit cards
- Commit the batch
- Now that the payments are not pending in a batch, you should be able to correct the credit card or account information on the pledge or recurring gift record as well as the Constituent record in the case of direct debits