The steps to resolving this issue are different depending on whether the payment was entered through the Back Office (entered through the add a payment screen or batch) or if the item was purchased through a Sales Order (Online Sales, Daily Sales, or Advance Sales).
For a back office payment:
Most back office payments can easily be edited to be applied to a different application.
- Open the payment record
- Click Edit payment
- If you need to apply the payment to a donation, a pledge or to an event registration instead, highlight the existing application and click Remove
- Under the Application area, add the correct application and click Add:
- Important Note: If the payment should have been a membership, follow the instructions in our related solution to edit this payment: I have a member who paid their membership through a donation by accident
- Save the payment
Sales orders cannot be easily edited in order for Altru to maintain an audit trail between sales transactions and deposits. For that reason, you will typically need to process a refund and a repurchase.
- Go to Sales > Refunds
- Search for the transaction using the order number or the patron's last name:
- Once you have selected the order, in the next screen, confirm the items and the amounts to be refunded.
- If the order was originally processed with a credit card, under Payment Details, change the Refund Method from the original method to an Other payment method* such as Exchange. By changing the Refund Method, you will not have to contact the patron again for their credit card information:
- Enter a reason and comments if needed.
- To complete the refund, click Refund.
- If you are refunding tickets, a notification will pop asking if you would like to mark the registrants as canceled and add the tickets you have refunded back to inventory. We recommend you click Yes:
- Once the order has been refunded, you can now ring a sales order for correct item. Apply the same Other payment method* you used previously as payment for this order:
Note: We also recommend completing the refund and repurchase in the same sales drawer if possible, so the refund and purchase will balance each other in the drawer.