There are a variety of different ways to import alumni (education) information. If this does not fit your exact situation, review BB217496 for a list of different scenarios and how to import them.
Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB58904).
For instructions for how to update existing education records on individual records, refer to BB333350.
Note: This import is for non-constituent relationships only. If the relationship to which to import the education record has its own constituent record, you must import the education on the constituent record. For instructions, refer to BB116622.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (7RelEd.CSV), which adds an education record (Bates College) to Kirby Luton's relationship record in the sample database. He is a relationship on Kimberly Luton's record. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. The sample file was tested in version 7.71.936. Other versions may vary slightly in the available fields.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Raiser's Edge. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information.
ImportID**, ESRIRImpID, ESRSchoolName
* Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge.
- Corresponding Field Names
Import ID**, Education/School Relationship Individual Relationship Import ID, Education/School Relationship School Name
In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Note: This is the most basic education/school import and only imports the school name on the education record. If you would like other information such as Date From, Date To, Class Of, etc., add the appropriate fields and headers. Refer to the Education/School Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In versions 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
- In Import, select Education/School from the Constituent category. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing (BB58904).
- What do you want to do? Import new records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID**
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
** When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier (BB8708). Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.