This is a limitation of the merge architecture. One page setup is used for all letters, which is selected from the first conditional document listed in Raiser's Edge, regardless of if that condition is used in the merge itself. Microsoft Word requires the entire document to have the same font, margin size, header, breaks, and footers throughout, so we take the margin size, header, and footer for the first conditional document and apply it to the entire master document.
The Mail Merge Wizard below shows which letter's formatting is applied to the entire merge output. This letter's formatting is used even if this actual letter does not appear in the merge results:
If your conditional mail merge is experiencing this, please review the following:
The conditional mail merge uses the formatting of the first letter template in the Mail Merge Wizard (even if it's not merged). Rearrange the conditions in the Mail Merge Wizard to a first letter that holds formatting correctly:
- Open the mail parameter
- Click Send to Word Merge Wizard
- Click Next (and No if prompted to mark records as Receipted, Acknowledged, etc.)
- Ensure conditional mail merge is selected
- Click Next
- Verify the correct condition field is highlighted
- Click Next
- In the list of letters, find any letter below the first one listed
- Open it and review the formatting to ensure that it is correct (font, margins, etc.)
- From Add-Ins menu, click Save and Return to RE7 to save changes
- In the list of letters, move that letter to the first position in the list
- Click Next
- Click Finish to run the merge or Cancel to close the Send to Word Merge Wizard
- If the formatting is still incorrect, review other letters and move up to first position in the list of letters
If different page setups (fonts, margins, etc.) are needed, create Constituent or Gift queries based on the condition and use a simple mail merge for each query rather than using the conditional mail merge. The margins save when creating a simple mail merge through the Mail Merge Wizard.
If different page setups are not needed, change the page setup in the first document by selecting File, Page Setup from the menu bar in Microsoft Word.
In Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016:
- While in the template for the Word Merge Document, before returning to RE, select the Home tab
- Click Change Style> Fonts> Create new Theme Fonts
- Heading Font: Select Times New Roman from the drop-down
- Body font: select Times New Roman from the drop-down
- Name: this can be up to the user, but commonly used is Times New Roman
- Click Save
- Click Save again in the MS Office document before clicking Save and Return to RE7
- When performing a conditional mail merge, keep the formatting exactly the same between the documents or use the standard Time New Roman font type and a font size of 12 point font.
- Open the first merge document in the list
- Ensure the font settings for this document are correct in Word
- Delete the conditional document within the Merge Wizard.
- Recreate the conditional document.
- Move the new conditional document to the very top of the list (using the Up arrow)
- Process the merge.
If you are using the Calibri font and it comes out as Times New Roman (even after checking all the templates are set to Calibri), please refer to Mail Merge using Calibri font appears with Times New Roman font in results