When does this take effect?
Effective on July 1, 2014 CASL for all commercial electronic messages under the new law. According to the legislation a commercial electronic message or CEM is "any electronic message (e.g., e-mail, electronic news bulletin, or invitation sent online) that encourages participation in a commercial activity, regardless of whether there is an expectation of profit." 1
How am I effected by these new laws?
What are some things I need to do before the law takes affect?
- Get Consent. Send messages to get your recipients to sign up for receiving different types of messages from your organization. By creating Constituent attributes on your Raiser's Edge records you can create targeted lists in the database. Example, users who would like to receive messages about upcoming events but not for your weekly newsletters.
- Get Clear. Review all of your email templates and messages to ensure the messages that go out comply with the commercial electronic message requirements to clearly identify where the message is coming from and all the parties involved, more info can be found here. You need to provide a way for users to unsubscribe at any time from receiving email messages.
Note: Blackbaud requires an unsubscribe link for every message that NetCommunity sends.
- Get Prepared. Be sure to review your internal process as you will need to provide proof of consent for every message that you send. Make sure that every record in Raiser's Edge and/or Education Edge has this data entered.
How do I send messages from NetCommunity under these new regulations?
- By updating the setting for default users who sign up on your NetCommunity site to opt in to receive email messages. This setting determines whether new registered users in NetCommunity opt in by default to receive email messages from your organization. This feature can be turned off for all users. (BB743176)
- By allowing users to opt in to receive different types of email messages like Newsletters or Event Invitations. The users will be able to easily opt in or out of messages on the profile and/or email preferences form using Constituent attributes from Raiser's Edge. This information will populate into their constituent record on the attributes tab for you to query on for your email messages. These attributes can be added to user email preferences forms. (BB753573)
- By adding these new constituent attribute asking for consent on the new user sign up/login and profile forms to allow current and new users the opportunity to remove consent at any time during their relationship with your organization. The following links have steps to add attributes to profile form (BB547419) and new user sign up/login form. (BB598215)
- By adding an individual/student attribute on an Online Admissions\Online ReEnrollment application to ask consent for what types of messages they would like to receive from the school. The following link has steps to create attributes and adding those attributes to online forms. (BB746536)
If you have questions about the law and how it applies to you, please contact your legal resource.