Use the Sort Key field to easily alphabetize your records. The Sort Key uses the following format:
- For Individuals, the Sort Key combines last name, first name, and middle name. The format of the name is the same as the format selected on the Query tab from Tools, User Options.
- For Organizations, the Sort Key displays the organization name.
- To use the Sort Key: Click the Sort Tab, Select Constituent Information, and Double-click Sort Key.
Note: In order to use a Sort Key to alphabetize your export, you must be using a query that has the Sort Key field selected under the Sort tab.
- For Individuals, the Sort Key combines last name, first name, middle name, and import ID. For example, John Q. Public, whose import ID is 12345, has the following Sort Key: Public,John,Q.,12345.
- For Organizations, the Sort Key combines the organization name and import ID. For example, AAA Concrete, which has the import ID 45678, has the following Sort Key: AAA Concrete,45678.
Note: For organization names containing the "\" character for sorting, any characters preceding the "\" are removed for the Sort Key. For Example, "The\Jones Foundation", which has an Import ID of 67890, would have a Sort Key of "Jones Foundation,67890."
When exporting constituent information, include Sort Key if there is any likelihood that you will need to sort the records alphabetically.