This article explains how to change a Brief Name, and how to transfer Brief Name Responsibilities from one Brief Name to another.
It also describes what a Brief Name is.
Change Brief Name Procedure -------------------------------------------
Use this procedure if you need to edit the original brief name that you assigned to an account or name. TA changes all references from the Old Brief Name to the New Brief Name. You can run this procedure for only one brief name at a time.
Parameter and Description
Old Brief Name: This must be a brief name that exists in TA. You can press [F9] to select from the list of values.
New Brief Name: This name must not already exist in TA. Enter this field according to your organization's naming conventions (if applicable).
The following fields are now updated to the new brief name:
User name on the User Entry screen Rater on the Prospect Rating Entry screen Advisor on the Planned Giving Entry screen Life Insurance Owner on the Planned Giving Entry screen Salutations Code on the Salutation Entry screen Staff on the Salutation Entry screen Staff on the Source Information window (accessed from the Giving History screen) Staff on the Account Diary Entry and the Customer Service Entry screens Staff on the Notes Entry screen Reviewer on the Batch Summary Entry screen
There are some limitations with the Change Brief Name procedure that should be kept in mind:
* The password associated with the old Team Approach user/brief name cannot be transferred to the new Team Approach user/brief name. As such, the password is reset to the new Team Approach user/brief name. For example, if a brief name was changed from JSMITH to JBROWN, the user will now log into TA as user JBROWN, password JBROWN. (Note: As this is not a secure password, the password needs to be changed as soon as possible).
* Audit information is not updated as it is historical information. For example, if the user updating and inserting on a table is set to JSMITH, it remains set to JSMITH after the Change Brief Name procedure runs.
* Reports or outputs created prior to the brief name change in the old brief name directory on the database server have not been moved over to the new brief name directory on the database server. (Note: If you wish to move them over manually, please contact your DBA or Systems Administrator, or TA Support). * You can change an existing brief name only to a value that does not currently exist in the system, otherwise an error displays when the procedure is run.
Transfer Brief Name Responsibilities Procedure ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use this procedure if you want to replace certain Employee, User, or Solicitor fields from one brief name to another. That is, if a person's responsibilities include taking over for a former staff, user, or solicitor, then use this procedure to update fields to the new person's brief name.
* There are two parameters for this procedure: Old Brief Name and New Brief Name. The New Brief Name must be at least of the same type(s) as the Old Brief Name. For example, if the Old name is a User and an Employee, then the New Brief Name must also be a User and an Employee; the New Brief Name could also be a solicitor, and that would still be acceptable.
* The new person's brief name must already be created before you run this procedure.
* This procedure updates only those fields in TA designated as "responsibility" fields. The accounts themselves do not change in any way (privilege structures and user groups are not modified), nor are any fields used for auditing or record keeping purposes changed.
List of responsibility fields according to brief name function and corresponding screens where they reside
Brief Name Function Screen Name Field Name
EMPLOYEE Account Overview Staff EMPLOYEE Account Project Entry Additional Staff EMPLOYEE Activity Entry Staff Responsible EMPLOYEE Campaign Entry Staff Responsible EMPLOYEE Effort Entry Staff Responsible EMPLOYEE Initiative Entry Staff Responsible EMPLOYEE Account Diary Entry SENDER* Not sure EMPLOYEE Name Entry Staff EMPLOYEE User Defined Output Entry Alternate Sender EMPLOYEE Query Output Schedule Requested by EMPLOYEE User Defined Output Entry Sender EMPLOYEE Project Code Entry Additional Staff EMPLOYEE Source Code Entry Staff Responsible SOLICITOR Account Activity Account Manager SOLICITOR Account Project Entry Account Manager SOLICITOR Campaign Entry Solicitor SOLICITOR Effort Entry Solicitor SOLICITOR Initiative Entry Solicitor SOLICITOR User Defined Output Entry Alternate Sender SOLICITOR Query Output Schedule Requested by SOLICITOR User Defined Output Entry Sender SOLICITOR Project Code Entry Account Manager SOLICITOR Project Code Entry Additional Solicitor SOLICITOR Project Code Entry Primary Solicitor SOLICITOR Project Code Entry Steward SOLICITOR Source Code Entry Solicitor USER Batch Summary Entry USER_NAME USER Query Output Schedule Requested by USER User Defined Output Entry Owner USER Query Entry Owner
A Brief Name is a unique name (12 characters or fewer) that you can assign to certain accounts or names within accounts to activate specific functionality in TA such as setting up users or matching gift companies. The same brief name cannot be used more than once. In addition to activating specific functions, you can use brief names as a quick way to find your most commonly accessed accounts.
The Find an Account window includes the Brief Name field so that instead of searching by Account ID or Name and Address, you can enter the shorter Brief name to find the account. Since it's a unique identifier, TA navigates you directly to the screen or field you want rather than navigating to the Find an Account: Selected Accounts screen where you have to select the account first.
* Many organizations have a business practice that includes naming conventions for Brief Names. For example, if your TA users or solicitors are spread out among different Chapters or Regions, you may have a convention where the first 2 or 3 characters represents the Chapter or Region. This convention is helpful if you want to run queries or reports using the wildcard. For example, if you needed to see this months interactions created by users in a specific region (NE for New England), then for the brief name you can enter NE%.
* Once a brief name is created, the only way you can edit the name is to run the Change Brief Name procedure. If you have assigned Staff, User, or Solicitor fields with a particular brief name and you need to update certain fields with a different brief name, you must run the Transfer Brief Name Responsibilities procedure.
* Since Brief Name is a unique identifier think about whether you need to assign the brief name at the account-level or the name- level. For example, if two people on the account are serving as Solicitors, then assign a different brief name to each name, rather than one on the whole account. Likewise, if you are assigning a brief name to activate Matching Gifts, then this is usually assigned at the account-level. Use the Brief name field on the Account Overview screen to assign it to the account-level. Use the Brief name field in the Name Entry screen to assign it to a specific name on the account.
Deleting a Brief Name ---------------------
You can mark a brief name for deletion by pressing the [Shift] [F6] key combination from the Brief Name field. TA displays the message, "Do you really want to mark this brief name for deletion?" Click <Yes> to mark the brief name for deletion. Click <No> to cancel deletion and leave the brief name's status set to "A" for active. TA deletes brief names when your organization runs delete processing.
You can access the Brief Name Functions window to confirm that the brief name is marked for deletion by pressing the [F10] key or by clicking the <Zoom> button on the toolbar. TA sets the Status field to "D" for delete.
Designating Brief Name Functions in the Brief Name Functions Window -------------------------------------------------------------------
The Brief Name Functions window displays a list of functions that you can activate (e.g., Employee?, User?, Vendor?, Solicitor?) so that the Account (or Name) is enabled with the corresponding function.
To access this window, place your cursor in the Brief Name field and click the Zoom button. The Brief Name Functions window appears, displaying a list of functions that you can activate for the account as described below:
* Activating a Function - Set fields within the Brief Name Functions window to "A" for "active" for those functions that you want to be activated. For example, if you are creating a new TA user, you would set the User? and Employee? fields to "A". If you want the account to be designated as a vendor, you would set the Vendor? field to "A" for "active". If you leave the field blank, the function is not activated.
* Inactivating a Function - You can also set a function's status to "P" for past to indicate that the account or person served the function at a previous time. When you set the function's status to past, TA removes the special functionality associated with the particular function. Set the function's status to "D" for delete if the account or person no longer serves the function and you don't want to retain the information that the account or person served the function.
Assigning Brief Names to Specific Lists of Values in the Brief Name Functions Window ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to activating specific TA functionality, activating a function as described above provides a way for TA to restrict lists of values to specific Brief Names. For example, if you set the Solicitor? field to "A", the account is designated as a Solicitor account and will appear in the list of values when you press the [F9] key in the Solicitor field on the Account Activity screen.