- Enter the parameters in the mail function, and click Send to Word merge wizard in the action bar.
- If prompted, save the parameter file.
- Click Next to process the export
- After the export completes, the What type of mail merge do you want to run screen appears, on which you decide whether to perform a simple or conditional merge. Select to perform a simple mail merge.
- Click Create merge document. (Note: It is not possible to use an existing Word document in a Raiser's Edge mail merge. If you have a pre-existing Word document, copy and paste the text into the blank Word document that will open upon clicking Create merge document. You will need to replace the merge fields as specified in step 7).
- Word opens to a blank merge document. Notice the options in the action bar: Insert Raiser's Edge Field, Insert Word Field, and Save and Return to RE7. (Note: In Office 2007 and higher, you must select the Add-ins tab first.)
- Type the body of the letter. To insert a merge field, click Insert Raiser's Edge Field and select from the list. To insert a Word field such as an If...Then...Else statement, click Insert Word Field.
- When the merge fields are inserted and the text of the letter is complete, click Save and Return to RE7.
- To make further changes to the merge document in Word, click Edit merge document.
- Click Finish.
- When prompted, enter the name and location of the merge document, and click OK.
- Word opens and the finished merge letters print to screen.
- Print the letters from Word.
For complete information, review the Mail Merge with Microsoft Word section of The Raiser's Edge & Microsoft Office Integration Guide.
NOTE: It is not possible to UPLOAD a document into Mail. The documents are embedded in Mail inside the Mail parameter or inside Export for the Export letter being generated. It is possible to copy and paste the text of the letter, but the fields must be inserted into the embedded document within The Raiser's Edge.