Create a constituents query for each group of constituents and merge each query separately. For example, if you need to base the merge on both the gift amount and gift date fields, run a query for each combination of gift amount and date and merge each query separately.
If you know how to use Word's advanced functions:
This task requires a strong understanding of If...Then...Else Statements. If you do not have a strong knowledge of this, perform the steps in the 'If you are unfamiliar with Word' section.
- Instead of using the Mail Merge Wizard when running the appropriate mailing function such as Donor Acknowledgement Letters or Quick Letters, click the Export button and export the information into a data file.
- Manually create the conditional document. Each time you instert an If...Then...Else statement, you can select a different field.
Note: For your convenience, the following is an example of a conditional statement based on two constituent codes. This sample is offered to you as a convenience only. This is an advanced 'programming' function in Microsoft Word, and we are unable to assist in editing up specific If...Then...Else statements. If you need assistance with editing your If...Then...Else statement, consult a Microsoft Word expert, qualified computer technician, Microsoft, or contact your account representative for a custom solution.
The following statement is created based on two constituency codes. The constituent receives a letter based on whether they have a constituency code of TR, DST, both, or none.
Note: The above statement is a screen shot and cannot be cut and pasted. Microsoft Word does not allow you to cut and paste formulas outside of Word. To have the actual formula, download the sample merge files below.
View a sample multi-conditional document and associated letters (Merge.exe). This file is a self-executing zip file. To run it:
- Create a directory called C:\Test
- When prompted to run or save the file, save it to your local hard drive.
- Double-click the file and unzip it to C:/Test
- To view the conditional statements, open MultCCConditionalDocument.doc. When prompted to run the SQL Script, click Yes. The conditional statement used is listed above. To view this, select Tools, Options from the menu bar and mark field codes. The associated data file contains the following information:
- David Murphy with constituent codes TR and DST
- John Smith with constituent code TR
- Lacy Jones with constituent code DST
- Jason Limpus with no constituent codes
- This merges based upon which of these two constituent codes the constituent has.