To find and adjust this process if needed, follow these steps:
- Go to Financials
- Under EFT, click Credit Card Processing. Note: You must have the system role of Treasury Manager in Altru in order to see the EFT process.
- Notice the Nightly Credit Card Processing for Recurring Gifts process. Click the hyperlinked name of the process to view the details.
- If you would like to adjust the settings of the process, click Edit process under Tasks in the upper left of the screen. Here are some settings you may wish to review:
- If you wish to change the merchant account used to charge automatic payments, select a new account in the drop down.
- If you would also like the process to charge automatic pledge payments, check the box for Pledges to include any pledge payments that should be paid automatically by credit card:
- You want to also make sure the successful payments are being automatically committed by the system:
- On the Rejection handling tab, you may also wish to review how Altru handles credit card rejections.
- For permanent rejections (for example, when the credit card is lost, stolen, or invalid), we recommend exporting a list of the rejections. You can use this list to contact the donors for updated credit card information.
- For provisional rejections (a temporary rejection that can occur when there is a banking server error, credit card processor error, or insufficient funds), you can select to export them or to create a retry batch of the transactions that you can use to manually charge them at another time.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are selecting to create a retry batch for provisional rejections, you must go into Altru and attempt to reprocess the transactions through a batch. For more information about that, see our video here: How to charge automatic payments through Batch. Otherwise, if you have rejected transactions in an uncommitted batch, you will not be able to edit the recurring gift and Altru will not be able to process any future payments for that recurring gift.
If desired, you can also configure another process that will charge those payments automatically. You may need to do this if you accidentally deleted the Nightly Recurring Process for Recurring Gifts and need to add a new process:
To set up a new Credit Card Processing Process:
- Go to Financials
- Under EFT, click Credit Card Processing
- Click to add a new Credit Card Processing process
- In the Add a credit card processing process screen, name your process (for example: Recurring Gifts and Pledge Payments)
- Add a description of the process if needed.
- Select the merchant account you would like to use to charge these payments from the Account drop down.
- Under, Where are the credit card transactions coming from? select the option for New Batch and check the boxes for what types of payments you would like included in this process (Pledge payments and/or Recurring gift payments)
- If desired, you can also use a selection to isolate specific pledges and recurring gifts
- Under Payments due on or before, we recommend selecting Date this process runs. You can also choose a specific date or a number of days after the process runs as well.
- Next, check the box to choose whether or not to Consolidate multiple payments to a single payment by constituent. You might select this option if a constituent has multiple commitments that you'd like to consolidate into one large payment.
- Next, choose the Payment batch template. We recommend choosing the Enhanced Revenue Batch for Credit Card payments.
- Under Payment batch owner, select the user that will be responsible for committing the batch.
- Mark the box 'Automatically commit this batch and add these payment transactions to the database'
- Click Save. When you're finished, your process should look similar to this one:
- Click on the name of the process you just configured.
- Go to the Job Schedules tab
- Click Add to add a job schedule.
- Give your job schedule a name (for example: Pledges and Recurring Gifts Job Schedule)
- Under Schedule type, select the frequency you would like to charge automatic payments in the drop down (for example: Daily, Monthly, etc.)
- Specify the details of when the payment will be charged (for example: what time of day and/or what day of the month).
- Under Duration, leave the process at No end date.
- Click Save. When you are finished, your job schedule will look similar to this. This process is set up to run monthly on the 15th of each month: