This error may occur if one of the users being merged has Course Requests or an Application. Additionally, a Candidate can only be merged with other Candidates, not Students
To determine why you are unable to merge duplicate users:
- Core > People Finder > user > Access tab
- Click Remove User
- Once Remove User is clicked, if the Delete option appears, do NOT click Delete.
- If a user cannot be removed for any reason, an error message will appear after clicking Remove User that states why the User cannot be deleted.
Error: To permanently remove this student, all school registration rows must be deleted first. An alternative is to withdraw him/her and assign the Past Student role.
1. Go to Core > People Finder > [user] > Access tab.
2. Select the Edit icon next to the Student persona and select Edit school enrollment
3. Delete all of the enrollment rows. If an enrollment row cannot be deleted, see Delete button is missing or grayed out when attempting to delete student enrollment row.
4. Once all rows have been removed, try merging the users again.
Other reasons that two profiles cannot be merged include if both users have a started application. Additionally, a Candidate Role cannot be merged into a Student Role.