Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Prior to importing, we suggest marking Validate Now on the General tab.: Validating the data will not import the information in the system. This is a test run of the import.
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
Create a data file or use an existing file.
- View a sample data file (StudentActivities.csv) which does the following:
- Michael Richard Andrews: Updates an existing Ecology Club Activity record for the 2005-2006 Academic Year
- Drew Ash Abernethy: Adds a new Student Activity record for Athletic Activity for the 2005-2006 Academic Year
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format (BB11254).
- *Although headers are not required in The Education Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Education Edge. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
- Verify the file has following required fields (any additional fields can be included in the import as well):
- Student Import ID or Student ID
- Activity Type
Note: If one of the following fields from the Activities Participation is being imported, the Grade Level field MUST be included as well:
- Academic Year
- Wants to participate
- Eligibility Status
- In Administration > click Import.
- Click Student or Activities (located below Student) > Click New.
- Using the Activities Import Type would only show the fields associated with Activities. The student would record would have to already exist in order to use the Activities Import
- If the student record does not exist, users would need to use the Student Import Type along with including the required fields for importing students: How to import students in Registrar's Office (includes sample data file)
- Mark Import New records on the General tab.
- Browse to the CSV file in the Import file field
- Select the appropriate record identified for the Use Field (if the file has the StudentImport ID , select Student Import ID for example )
- Select the File Layout tab and select the Import File does not contain field names option ONLY if your import file does not have header. If your Import File contains the field names, mark Fields names are on the first line of the import file.
- Select the Fields tab and map the fields
- Note: Extensions can be used in this import if the field can be imported multiple times.
- Save the import parameters.
- Click Validate now (if we marked Validate data only on the general tab) or Import Now
- The "Use" field on the General tab to match the field being used to match record.
- If Student Import ID is being used, then Student Import ID should be selected in the drop-down on the General tab.
- If Student Id is being used, then Student Id should be selected in the drop-down on the General tab
- Other fields can be included in the import if preferred.