The Queue service can be used to automatically run Reports, Exports, Queries, Administrative tasks, etc
To install the Queue Module in a database located in Blackbaud Hosting Services:
- Contact Support and reference this article.
- Please also provide the Queue module unlock code (if applicable).
- Once the Queue service has been installed in your application, users may begin creating queues with the steps below.
**Create a Dedicated Queue Username within The Raiser's Edge, The Education Edge or Financial Edge, such as REQueue
**Give the Dedicated Queue Username Supervisor rights
**Leave the Run On empty, Queue Service will run on the Hosted Server enabled by our Hosting Administrators
**Create only one Queue that contains multiple processes to run, instead of creating multiple Queues each with one process
**If multiple Queues are needed to run, schedule them on different days or far enough apart in time that the Queue process can complete before the next Queue process needs to start (only ONE Queue can run at time)
- In Administration > click Queue
- On the Queue page, click "New Queue" on the action bar at the top.
- Follow the appropriate step(s) for FE/EE or RE then proceed to step 4:
- The Raiser's Edge:
- Select the appropriate module, category, and subcategory for items in the queue and click "Add to queue". Repeat this process until all items are added to the Queue.
- The Financial Edge/The Education Edge:
- Click "Add Item" under the "Queue" tab
- Select the appropriate system, module, and category for items in the queue and click "Add selected Report(s) to Queue". Repeat this process until all items are added to the Queue.
- The Raiser's Edge:
- Click "Ok" to move to the Queue screen.
- On the Queue tab, add and select parameters for items in the queue.
- Select the "Processing" tab.
- In the "Frequency" field, select "On demand", "Weekly", "Monthly", or "Semi-monthly". If you select "On demand", enter a date and time in the "Next queue run date/time" field.
- Note: If you select "Weekly", "Monthly", or "Semi-monthly", additional selections appear so you can designate exactly how often the queue runs. If an "Hourly" frequency is desired, we recommend the queue be set to "On Demand" so there is not an unnecessary load on the servers.
- In the "Run as" field, select which user you want to run the queue as.
- Note: The selected user should be a queue specific user because it cannot be logged in while scheduled queues are running. Give the Dedicated Queue Username Supervisor rights
- In the "Run on" field, leave on the default option, "All Machines".
- Note: If you are hosted with Blackbaud, leave the Run On empty, Queue Service will run on the Hosted Server enabled by our Hosting Administrators
- In the Queue schedule "Start date" and "End date" fields, enter the dates the queue should first run and when it should stop running.
- Based on frequency and start date selections, the date and time for the queue to run again appears in the "Next queue run date/time" field.
- To stop the queue if the program encounters an error, mark the "If an error occurs while running this queue, stop processing" checkbox.
- If left unmarked and an error occurs, the program proceeds to the next task in the list.
- If you selected "On demand" in the "Frequency" field, you can mark the "If all items are processed successfully, delete this queue" checkbox.
- Select the "Miscellaneous" tab.
- To create a control report after the queue finishes, mark the "Create a control report" checkbox and select "Detail" or "Summary" in the "Format" field.
- In the "Action" field, set to "Export".
- Select the "Data format" type
- Set the "Export path" to a folder in the Hosting Files Folder
- If you are hosted with Blackbaud, set to this file path: \\bbhfs01\[siteID]$\[folder name] Note: [siteID] will be replaced with your organization siteID and [folder name] will be the desired folder in the Hosted Files Folder.
- If you reside in Microsoft Azure, your file path is slightly different. You select the Tenant File Share UNC Path. To use the tenant file share, select the ellipses and under This PC, select Tenant File Share UNC Path (F:). We recommend you create a new folder for the export in the Tenant File Share (F:). You must select the UNC Path, not just the Tenant File Share.
- Click "Add to Queue" and repeat as needed.
- Click "Ok"
- Click "Save and Close"
NOTE: OnDemand and Scheduled queues are available features in the hosting environment. However, certain functionalities are not available when running scheduled queues in the Blackbaud Hosting Services environment:
- Printing: Scheduled queues run directly on Blackbaud hosted servers, and printing in hosting is designed to map to the default printer on a user's local workstation. Given that the scheduled queue is not running on a user's local machine, the printing function will not work for scheduled queues. Printing to a local printer is possible when running OnDemand queues since a user is logged in to run the queue.
- Emailing: The Financial Edge and The Education Edge Queue Service does not allow a mail server to be selected when hosted. This option is available in The Raiser's Edge.
- Exports: Scheduled queues run directly on Blackbaud hosted servers. Scheduled exports will only run successfully when saved to the Hosting Services Files Folder. Exporting to the local drive in a scheduled queue will not work because there is no direct connection between the server and the workstation when the queue is run on Blackbaud's servers. Exporting to a local workstation is possible when running OnDemand queues since a user is logged in to run the queue.
US - East is EDT
Azure Canada is EDT
Azure US is PDT
Canada is PDT
US - West is PDT
For more information, or to purchase the Queue module, please contact your Account Manager.