- On the navigation bar, click Export.
- Select File, New Export from the menu bar or click New Export in the action bar.
- On the Create a New Export screen, select the type of export (for example, Constituent, Individual, Organization, or Gift) and export format (for example, Excel 5-7 (XLS), Comma-Separated Values, or Blackbaud Report Writer Database (MDB)).
- Click Create Now.
- On the General tab, click Include>Selected Records to select a query, if appropriate. Select the appropriate options for the Head of Household and Include these Constituents frames. Mark the Create Control Report checkbox.
- On the Output tab, select the fields to export.
- Click Export Now.
- Browse to the file location and enter a file name.
- Click Save.
- Preview Your Exports - Before exporting data, click the Preview toolbar button or select File, Preview Export File Layout from the menu bar to quickly ensure you're exporting the correct information, saving time you might otherwise spend troubleshooting. The preview screen includes the export data fields for the first 15 records in the file.
- Include Sort Key - The Sort Key field in the Biographical section enables you to sort exported records alphabetically. It's always a good idea to include it when you export constituent information.
- Export Locally - Rather than exporting directly to a network drive or a disk, export to your local hard drive (usually C:\) instead. By doing so, you'll avoid having to re-export the file if you lose your network connection or if the file won't fit on a disk. Once the export completes, move the file to its final destination.
- Print the Control Report - The Control Report includes useful information, such as the name and location of the export file, the exported data fields, and the number of records included, so make sure you always print a copy.
- Query Output Fields Do Not Transfer - When using a query for your export, the query's sort order applies to the export but the output fields do not. You have to select output fields in Export even if you selected them previously in Query.
Note: For more information, review the Query & Export Guide from your program's Help menu or on our Web site: Query & Export Guide (PDF).