Note: Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article. Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing.
Note: The way phone numbers are stored in The Raiser's Edge changed as of The Raiser's Edge 7.94. Verify your version number by clicking on Help in any menu bar and selecting About The Raiser's Edge. The version number will be on the first line of the text in the About information box. Make sure you are referring to correct version number correctly in the steps below.
1. Create a data file or use an existing file.
Below are links to sample data files to view headers and data fields. This data updates phones on the Phillip Keller's record in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column. You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, this example and the sample data file are in CSV format.
For 7.94 version and above, view a sample data file (794ImportUpdatePhones.csv). -- This updates the home phone number and adds a new pager number on the Bio1 tab of Phillip Keller.
For 7.93 version and earlier, view a sample data file (7ImportUpdatePhones.csv) -- This updates the home phone number and adds a new pager number on the preferred address of Phillip Keller.
2. Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). The fields in bold italics are required by The Raiser's Edge. The fields in italics are conditionally required. Refer to the notes below the list of fields for additional information. Although headers are not required in The Raiser's Edge, we recommend using them. Otherwise, you must manually map the fields in the data file to the corresponding fields in The Raiser's Edge.
For 7.94 and above
ImportID*, PhoneImpID, PhoneNum, PhoneType
Constituent Import ID*, Phone Import ID, Phone Number, Phone Type
For 7.93 and earlier:
**In version 7.93 and earlier, the phone address import ID field in the data file must be populated with the address import ID for the address to which the phone number is being added or updated. If this field is not included in the data file, refer to Updating or importing a new address, phone number or email address requires an address import ID for information on how to add it to the file.
Note: Each phone number must be in a separate row as in the sample file from step 1. The Phone Import ID is only required to update existing phone numbers. If it is included when adding new ones, it may be left blank. The Phone Type is only required to add new phone numbers. It may be included when updating existing. If it is included for existing phone numbers and is different then the Phone Type on the existing phone number, it will overwrite the current Phone Type. For example, if it is Business in The Raiser's Edge but is Home in the import data file, it is updated to Home when importing.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for any field with leading zeroes. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Refer to the Constituent Phone Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. In version 7.5 and above, you can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
3. Only for The Raiser's Edge 7.94 or above, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Note: Not all fields can be imported with all import types; for example, gifts cannot be imported with constituent information. Refer to the Constituent Code Fields section of the Import Guide (PDF) for a list of all available fields (layout table) and for what each is used. You can also access the layout table from the Fields tab in the import parameters.
4. In Import, select Constituent Phone from the Constituent node. Click New and select the following parameters. For more information on what these parameters mean, refer to How to import in The Raiser's Edge 7 - The Basics of Importing. (In the The Raiser's Edge 7.94 or higher, you may see Constituent Phone (Legacy). Use the Constituent Phone import for this process.)
o What do you want to do? Update Existing records
o Options Import records not found as new records
o What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
o How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? Use the Import ID*
o What is the format of this import file? Delimited
File Layout Tab:
o Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
o Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
o Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
In the Import Fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding field in the Raiser's Edge Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option.
* When creating a data file (steps 1 and 2), you can use the constituent ID or Social Security number instead of the import ID for the unique identifier. Use the same field in the How do you want the system to identify existing constituents? frame in Step 4.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Import ID or Social Security number. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.